Sunday, June 9, 2013

Hasta Luego - The Art of Goodbye

Saying goodbye is a funny thing.  I have been doing a lot of it recently as I only have 2 days left at work and 3 days left in DC.
The way I see it is there are essentially three different types of goodbyes.

  • The people that you never really say goodbye to because they will always be a part of your life no matter where you are physically.
  • Your convenience friends; those that you enjoy when they are around, but there is not enough substance in the relationship to maintain the friendship without the convenience.  You will stay facebook friends, be aware of what is going on in their digital lives and maybe hit a bar if you end up in the same city at some point, but that is about it. 
  • And then there are the people that you know you will most likely never see or hear from again.
The last group I think can be the easiest and hardest goodbyes.  Some of the people that fall into this category you could not be more thrilled than to never see them again; others have perhaps made a profound impact on you but in such passing you know you will likely never see them again; to me, these are the really hard ones.

There are a lot of people that fall into this category, but two people come to mind that fall into the later of the third category.  The school crossing guard that I see every morning on my walk to work and the gentleman I buy the Street Sense newspapers from on that same walk.  I don't know either of them well, but I see them just about every day.  They both exude such positive energy and are always quick with a smile and friendly conversation no matter the weather or what situation they are in.  It is people like this that I try to remind myself of when I find myself in a bad mood or unmotivated and why I believe so strongly in smiling and showing kindness to strangers.  I know that they are partially responsible for the continuation of my positive attitude.  They are my daily reminder to be happy and to share that happiness.   

While I will spend my remaining three days here in DC doing my best to spend quality time with good friends, I have to keep in mind that goodbyes are not all sad occasions.  It is the end of one chapter, but the start of a new one and I look forward to meeting new friends and starting new adventures. 

So Hasta Luego DC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment